Our Online Training Sessions
The training landscape has changed dramatically in a very short space of time and we all must adapt. Our ambition has always been to run in-studio sessions alongside an online operation, whereby online riders could join our live studio sessions. The goal being that both sets of participants would benefit from the same blend of professional informative coaching and desire to help athletes train smarter.
With the current situation, we are now moving all our sessions online and because we are a specialist turbo training business, you can be sure our sessions are the dog’s bo****ks!
Every one of our online sessions is fully coached with coach interaction via a Zoom conferencing feed and structured according to a specific training objective, such as targeting a particular energy system (see session types below). Each session is conducted via the new immersive training platform, RGT Cycling. For more on how to get started, please see our helpful How To Video Guide.
For updates and announcements regarding particular sessions, please join our RIAK ONLINE – Users Group on Facebook.
Joining our sessions
Until 13 April, all our non-club sessions are open to all and totally free! Joining links for each day are embedded in the Timetable below, which will be refreshed every Saturday afternoon.
Please note, before joining your first session, you will need to download 3 apps:
- The RGT Screen app onto the device you will be using as the screen (laptop, Apple TV, Ipad etc.);
- The maint RGT app on a separate device (phone, Ipad etc.); and
- The Zoom app for the coaching feed either on a third device or it should run fairly well on the same device as that of the main RGT app.
To sign-up to and join our sessions:
- click the session sign-up link from the Timetable below on the device with which you will be running the main RGT app;
- the RGT app will then open and take you to the session sign-on page;
- sign up and once the server goes live about 15-minutes before the start of the session, there will be a ‘Join’ button, click this and it will launch the session; and
- once you have joined and have connected your trainer etc, to join the live coaching feed click the Zoom link in the Timetable below for the relevant session and it will open up the Zoom app – if this is on the same device as the main RGT app, RGT should run fairly well in the background and with Zoom you can opt to run just the audio feed, which should demand less of your device’s processor.
To demonstrate this process, in the immortal words of Richard Attenborough’s character in Jurassic Park, ‘we have spared no expense’ in putting this How To Video Guide together [if truth be told, it was a rush job and zero money was spent on it]:
Endurance & tempo (Zones 2 & 3)
It is important that all cyclists/triathletes develop the full spectrum of energy systems and this requires plenty of work at lower intensity or in the ‘fat burning zone’.
Our Endurance & Tempo sessions will help build your endurance base by focusing on longer, lower intensity sets, broken up by short higher intensity bursts. Make no mistake however, this is not an easy pootle. 80% of the session might be at an endurance or tempo effort, but that leaves the remaining 20% for us to have some fun! The increased length of the session and lack of absolute recovery ensures this a great workout.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Sweet spot & threshold (Zone 4)
This session will see you accumulate plenty of volume at and around your aerobic threshold. This is the point at which your muscles begin to accrue lactate and your muscles begin to fatigue. It is a tough session targeting an energy system every rider needs to spend plenty of time developing, especially triathletes and time trialists.
Duration: 1 hour
Vo2Max & Sprints (Zones 5-7)
This is a high octane session, looking to improve your ability to sustain above-threshold efforts and anaerobic power (i.e. speed endurance and maximum power).
Even if your training has a largely endurance focus, you should still include higher intensity sessions such as this as part of your training. Having developed fast twitch muscle fibres is key for the closing stages of an endurance event, because as your slow twitch (endurance) fibres begin to fatigue, your fast twitch muscle fibres must pick up the slack. If they are not properly conditioned, it can mean slowing to a snail’s pace. If you’re a bike racer of any experience level however, no more explanation needed…V02 and sprint work is a must!
Duration: 1 hour
The only way to accurately measure improvements in your cycling fitness is by setting a baseline and periodically testing yourself. It is also important to note that as you attend sessions and build fitness, for your RIAK Fitness sessions to continue to be set at a level that provokes physiological adaptations, your Functional Threshold Power (FTP) needs to be kept up-to-date through periodic testing (every 6-12 weeks).
We run two types of testing:
1) Standard FTP testing – We test your 20-minute power and calculate your FTP as a percentage of that; or
2) Full performance testing – Our performance testing sessions follow a special testing protocol, which means that not only will you be able to accurately calculate your FTP, but also test for your V02max, Anaerobic Capacity and Neuromuscular Power (maximum power) . The consequence is that upon analysing your test data, you will be able to characterise what type of rider you are (your phenotype) and determine which areas of your cycling fitness require development. By building an accurate power profile (how you produce power over different time periods), you will be able to decide what type of training will see you get the most bang for your buck.
If you feel you need help interpreting your data following a Full Performance Testing session, please get in touch and we would be happy to advise as best we can.
Racing – Friday Fight Night
Everything is being cancelled but there’s one thing they can’t take away from us, E-racing!
Join us on a Friday evening for our weekly league race.
The racing will be competitive with riders stacked against each other relative to their FTP in watts per kg.
The best bit is, if you lack racing experience, this is the perfect way to start. Because we are racing on the trainers over a simulated course, anyone can race anyone and no one gets left behind. All that happens at the end of the race is we step off our bikes and grab a cup of tea and go about our days.
The races will be short and sharp with a diverse profile of courses to test riders in a number of capacities. Accumulate points and push for the series win or just dip in and out of the racing as you wish, it’s entirely up to you!
Race preparation and training plans
Need some more motivation to train? Why not invest your competitive spirit in E-racing properly and check out our FREE 6-week E-racing Preparation Plan!
E-racing is an entirely different beast to real world racing, requiring a focused approach. Typically, E-races are short but brutal, starting impossibly hard and never letting up. If you haven’t trained to race in this way, you might find yourself out the back of the group and on an unscheduled training ride.
Should you prefer a fully tailored plan prepared for your individual needs, time availability, experience level and lifestyle, please contact us at Info@RIAK.Fitness. Our approach is always about balance, so with a RIAK coaching plan, you can be sure your training will work for you and not present another of life’s stressors. There’s enough of that going around at the moment as it is!
Online Session Sign-up
Each of the sessions listed below has: 1) an embedded RGT sign-up link; and 2) a Zoom live coaching feed link. Click on the session you would like to join on the device on which you have downloaded the main RGT app, and it will take you straight to the sign-up page.
Once you have your RGT set up sorted and you have joined the session, a few minutes before the session you will be able to join our coaching feed via the link below the relevant session time.
Purchasing a Membership & Booking On
Until 13 April, all our sessions will be free and save for club sessions, open to all!!!!
Beyond 13 April, the RIAK Online Membership will open and cost just £15 per month. With this you will receive access to all our non-club dedicated online sessions and much more! Check out our Timetable to see just how many sessions will be open to riders until 13th April and to Members once Membership opens.
Single session bookings
Even when our Membership system goes live, it will be possible to attend individual sessions and races for £5 per session and session booking will be through our Booking Page.