Our turbo session timetable and session types have been developed to work as a well-balanced and challenging training plan. Every session is also completely interactive with a professional coach leading you through the session, discussing specific training topics and answering your questions whilst you ride.
There are plenty of cycling studios and online plans out there, but in our opinion, nowhere else provides a purposeful training structure plus the real-time in-session advice of a coach whom you can tap for knowledge. This is a unique offering and a big part of our motivation has always been to educate athletes on how to train smarter, keep life in balance and achieve consistency. So, we invite you to exploit this and bring your questions along!
Examples of topics we cover during our sessions include: explaining what the energy systems are and how to structure your training to manipulate them; the importance of proper fuelling and hydration; the benefits of an optimal cadence; and anything else riders want to discuss!
We are BYOB (Bring Your Own Bike), which means you can ride to us, hook onto one of our trainers and benefit from a professionally coached group session.
As with our online sessions, we use RGT Cycling in the studio and currently have 6 out of 12 terminals available due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Each of our sessions is focused on a specific area of cycling fitness (see session types below) and provides the type of conditioning work that is very hard to replicate on the open roads.
If you are new to using a smart trainer it’s important to know that the variable resistance of each trainer is determined by our session plan and is set as a percentage of your Functional Threshold Power (FTP). FTP is essentially a metric for your individual fitness and can be set following a short in-studio ramp test or one of our Full Spectrum Performance Tests (see session types below). Long story short, once you know your FTP, you can be sure the trainer you use will be set at the right level to ensure your session is challenging but within your capabilities.
Why come to a turbo session? Well, there are some distinct advantages to being able to train on your own bike in one of our coached sessions:
1) you know your bike fits you so there is no guessing the height of the saddle etc and thereby risking injury from poor set up;
2) because we are BYOB, the training you do in the studio will directly benefit your performance out on the roads or trails;
3) our sessions are focused on developing cycling specific fitness, therefore, if you have a race, sportive, triathlon, cycling holiday or just want to feel stronger on your weekend rides, we have a session(s) designed to help you reach that goal;
4) you have a coach on-hand to ask any of your cycling/triathlon questions and for us, answering training questions and covering topics such as why hydration is important, what the body’s energy systems are etc., is a big part of the enjoyment;
5) training in a group provides a motivating factor that you just can’t replicate training on your own; and
6) training in the studio will enable you to perform the type of high intensity intervals, build sets etc that it is near impossible to replicate whilst cycling on the open roads navigating traffic lights and cars.
If you have a smart trainer/bike or a suitable power meter and trainer combo (please visit the RGT website to check compatibility), you can join our in-studio sessions from the comfort of your own home.
We use an immersive training platform, RGT Cycling, to host our sessions and a live Zoom coaching feed direct from the studio session. So, if you aren’t able to attend the studio in-person for whatever reason, you can still be a part of the action and reap the benefits:
– Fully coached sessions via an interactive Zoom video feed – bring your training questions, because alongside leading you through the session, it’s what we’re there for!
– Every session is structured towards a specific training objective and/or energy system.
– No need to worry about how to structure your training week – hit each type of session (V02max, Threshold, Endurance etc.) over the course of the week, remembering to include adequate recovery, and you have a well-balanced cycling plan right there!
– No further subscription purchases necessary – all you will require is the free basic RGT account to join our sessions.
If you have an indoor bike at home but do not have a trainer or power meter compatible with our Turbo Sessions and would still like to join a professionally coached and specifically structured session, you can do so because all our spin classes are also available online!
Swipe to see more
Endurance & tempo (Zones 2 & 3)
It is important that all cyclists/triathletes develop the full spectrum of energy systems and this requires plenty of work at lower intensity or in the ‘fat burning zone’.
Our Endurance & Tempo sessions will help build your endurance base by focusing on longer, lower intensity sets, broken up by short higher intensity bursts. Make no mistake however, this is not an easy pootle. 80% of the session might be at an endurance or tempo effort, but that leaves the remaining 20% for us to have some fun! The increased length of the session and lack of absolute recovery ensures this a great workout.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Sweet spot & threshold (Zone 4)
This session will see you accumulate plenty of volume at and around your aerobic threshold. This is the point at which your muscles begin to accrue lactate and begin to fatigue. It is a tough session targeting an energy system every rider needs to spend plenty of time developing, especially triathletes and time trialists.
Duration: 1 hour
Vo2Max & Sprints (Zones 5-7)
This is a high octane session, looking to improve your ability to sustain above-threshold efforts and anaerobic power (i.e. speed endurance and maximum power).
Even if your training has a largely endurance focus, you should still include higher intensity sessions such as this as part of your training. Having developed fast twitch muscle fibres is key for the closing stages of an endurance event, because as your slow twitch (endurance) fibres begin to fatigue, your fast twitch muscle fibres must pick up the slack. If they are not properly conditioned, it can mean slowing to a snail’s pace. If you’re a bike racer of any experience level, no more explanation needed…V02 and sprint work is a must!
Duration: 1 hour
This a challenging session focused on lifting your aerobic threshold and FTP but spiced up to help take you to the next level.
This session complements our Threshold session in that if that session involves longer steady state intervals, this one will be more dynamic and vice versa. Therefore, both sessions will provide you with a different type of threshold focused stimulus. However, Threshold Ultra will always be a step up in terms of intensity, so it should certainly be considered your peak session of the week in that regard.
If you are a heavily endurance focused athlete such as an Ironman triathlete and you do not have time for a separate supra-threshold session like our V02max & Sprints session in your training plan, our Threshold Ultra session will help you still hit those supra-threshold energy systems that all athletes need to develop in order to progress at an optimal rate.
Duration: 1 hour
Join us on a Thursday evening for a lighter session where the focus is on KNOWLEDGE. Each week a speaker will ‘deep-dive’ into a subject and cover it in much more detail than we are able to in our other sessions. We would recommend using this session to top up your endurance volume or as a pure recovery ride. So, all you need to do is relax, spin away and absorb some wisdom!
Topics will include such things as: nutrition (general and race day), minimising energy wastage (aerodynamics, mechanical efficiency etc.), the effect of the menstrual cycle on female athletic performance, the importance of strength & conditioning etc. Check our social media for a heads up on what topics we’ll be covering.
Duration: up to 1-hour, including Q&A
Not able to make one of our in-studio turbo sessions? Why not book on to a drop-in turbo session and do your own thing?
Available in 1-hour slots, drop-in sessions are as convenient as it gets. Simply book in, drop down on your bike at the allotted time, hook onto one of our trainers and off you go!
We have 6 training terminals available at any one time and each is compatible with RGT Cycling or Zwift, so all you need to do is link the RGT or Zwift app up to our screen and trainer and you’re ready to train.
Need a session plan? No worries, we have hundreds to choose from. Simply tell us what type of session you are after and we can get it set up for you.
To book, head to the Drop-ins Booking Page.
We provide the tech and training environment, you bring the horsepower!
We run three types of testing:
1) Ramp testing (in-studio only) – This is a short, sharp method of discovering your FTP lasting about 20-25 minutes, including the warm-up. Essentially, we just keep ramping up the resistance until you can’t peal anymore and use an algorithm to predict your FTP. If you are new to the studio and do not have a recent measure of your FTP, we will run this test for you the first time you come in to ensure your trainer is set at the right level.
Duration: 1 hour
2) Standard FTP testing (online only) – Test your average 20-minute power and calculate your FTP as a percentage of that number; and
Duration: 1 hour 23 minutes
3) Full Spectrum Performance Testing – Our performance testing session is a very challenging session and tests for your V02max, Anaerobic Capacity, Neuromuscular Power (maximum power) and FTP, allowing you to build a full profile of your capabilities.
Duration: 1 hour 36 minutes
For upcoming testing dates, please visit the E-Racing page.
We run regular E-Duathlons and E-Races. Participation in either can be enjoyed in-studio or online.
For more information, please visit the dedicated Events Page.
Joining our sessions
Step 1: download the RGT Cycling app
Regardless of whether you are joining us in the studio or joining online, you will need to download the RGT Cycling app and create yourself a profile. Only the FREE basic RGT subscription is required to join our sessions, so there are no ancillary costs to you.
Step 2: Booking onto a session
Once you are ready to join a session and have checked the Timetable for when your chosen session is on, it’s time to book!
There are two ways to gain access to our sessions:
1) purchase an online membership from our Shop (In-studio membership coming soon) and follow the booking instructions you will be provided with; or
2) go straight to the Turbo Training Booking Page and book onto and pay for a single session using the appropriate in-studio or online option from the drop-down.
Please note, booking for all sessions closes 1-hour before the relevant session start time.
Step 3: Join a session
If it is your first time attending the studio, there are a couple of things to note:
1) You will need to fill an Athlete Questionnaire in advance of attending the studio. Unfortunately, we cannot allow entry to anyone that hasn’t filled in a questionnaire;
2) If you do not know your FTP or if is has been a while since you have done a form of FTP test, you can book onto any of the sessions you wish, and your first session will involve a Ramp Test, so that we can set your trainer to the correct level for you.
3) Regardless of whether it is your first time or you are a regular, we will expect you to be familiar with our Stay Safe Rules.
To train in the studio, you will need:
1) your bike;
2) a face mask;
3) a water bottle;
4) a sweat towel; and
5) depending on the weather, dry clothes to put on for afterwards.
Shortly after booking has closed (1-hour before session start), you will receive an email with links to the RGT session and the live Zoom coaching feed. Click those links and they will open either the RGT or Zoom apps and take you to the correct session page.