This full-spectrum 12-week plan is all about unearthing your strengths and weaknesses as an athlete, whilst teaching you key post-session analysis skills.
The overarching goal of this plan is to help you understand more about yourself beyond the obvious stuff like critical powers or 5k PBs. Below are just a few examples of the types of information we will seek to gather about you.
Key Fitness Metrics:
– your FTP and other critical bike powers (5-second, 1-minute and 5-minute powers);
– threshold heart rate (bike and run);
– 3, 5 and 10k time; and
– Swim CSS and 1500m time.
– what your climbing ability is like both bike and run over different types of hills;
– what your maximum power/pace is in all three disciplines;
– what your speed endurance is like in all three disciplines (i.e. your ability to repeat high power/paced efforts);
– what your pacing skills are like (all three disciplines);
– what your open water sighting skills are like;
– how developed key race skills are, such as race starts, transitions, recovering on the move whilst maintaining a high pace;
and so much more!
A WELL BALANCED TRAINING PROGRAMME
Each week, alongside general conditioning sessions for all three disciplines, you will have ‘Triathlete Profiling’ sessions prescribed. These sessions are the ones to really prioritise as these are the sessions in which you will be collecting data about yourself. The rest of the programme is then built up by sessions intended to balance out the work performed in the ‘Triathlete Profiling’ sessions. So for instance, if a week’s bike profiling session is Vo2max focused, your other bike sessions that week will likely be Endurance, Threshold and/or Anaerobic focused. Therefore, this is not only a plan for profiling you as an athlete, it’s also just a great conditioning programme!
As with everything we do, we are committed to helping educate athletes. That is why every ‘Triathlete Profiling’ session is accompanied by either a complete coaching stream to take you through the session or a coach briefing video. This is to ensure you understand completely the purpose of each session and also to teach you some key analytical skills.
NEED SOME EXTRA GUIDANCE?
If after completing the plan, you feel you need some extra help analysing your data or making determinations about where to focus your training, please remember we have a coach consultation service. For a small fee you can arrange to talk to one of our coaches, who will take you through your data and answer any questions you have as a result of performing the series.
Simply drop us an email at [email protected] and we will arrange for one of our coaches to speak with you.
Who is this plan suitable for?
This is a relatively advanced plan and so we would suggest you would need a decent level of fitness in all three disciplines. Below is a suggested base level of fitness:
– can swim at least 1500m continuously;
– have an FTP of at least 2.5 watts/kg for men or at least 2.1 watts/kg for women; and
– able to run at least 10k.
What you will need?
In order to follow this plan, you will need:
– a Training Peaks account;
– a turbo trainer which is either a smart trainer/bike or a basic trainer with a power meter on your bike;
– access to some sort of training platform over which to run bike sessions. Our recommendation would be RGT Cycling;
– access to a safe location for open water swimming; and
– access to a swimming pool that is at least 25m long.
We would recommend purchasing a Training Peaks premium subscription for the duration of this plan to enable you to move your sessions around to suit and so that you can more easily interpret and collate your data in-line with the instructions in this plan.
- Firstly, set yourself up with a free Training Peaks account if you don’t already have one – Training Peaks
- Once you have ordered the plan, you will receive a confirmation email, which will contain a link asking you to add us as your coach on Training Peaks
- Click the link and add us as a coach and we’ll import the plan into your Training Peaks account
- Then off you go!